Day Two: Nine Loves1. Coffee. I'm sorry. It's just the truth. I can give up chocolate, sugar, bread...you name it, it's gone, but coffee's gonna stay. I've given it up enough times in recent years to know it's a love, not an addiction. I can go without, I just choose not to.
2. The smell of rain. This one probably popped into my head because it's been raining and because I missed it this past winter, but is there a fresher, more awakening, lovely smell than the first rain? Big sigh....
3. Our crazy dog. Katie makes me smile. She's such a weirdo, but she's brought great joy into our lives and I can barely remember what our world was like without her. I'm so glad that I have a job where I can bring her to work with me every day. She's a pain in the tail sometimes, but mostly she's good company (as she watches me out of the corner of her eye from under her desk).
|She sure looooves her carrots! (sorry for the crappy cell phone photo, but it was just so cute!)|
4. Writing. I have been carrying on a love affair with writing since I was old enough to know how to construct sentences out of words. I write every single day, whether it be a blog post or an entry in my journal or a section of my manuscript.
|My favorite writing quote|
5. On the same lines as #4: Reading. If you ever can't find me, check in a well lit corner behind a book. Chances are, there I'll be. I always have a book with me. When I need a break from a stressful day, I go "visit" my friends in my favorite books. On vacation, I'm reading a book. Waiting at the DMV? Reading a book. Driving to work: listening to a book. When I moved into my first apartment, my youngest brother told me he wasn't helping me move again until I got a lighter hobby. And, by the way, yes, they must be BOOKS. That little flat screen with the words on it, not a book.
6. Photography. There's a part of me that wants to get more specific, but I can't. I love photographing weddings. But I also love being out in the middle of nowhere shooting something beautiful in a completely different way. When I was young, I wished to God that I could paint or draw or otherwise express myself through art (writing seemed to work, but I wanted to SEE the image, not conjure it in my head). When I discovered photography, I knew I'd found my source of artistic expression. It allows me to show the world how I see it.
7. Traveling. I love visiting new places. Jim and I spent a month and a half touring the United States in my Toyota Corolla in 2010. It was probably the best time of my life. There's something about seeing new places, learning about other cultures and trying different foods that just does it for me.
8. Fresh flowers. There's nothing like having a bouquet of fresh flowers in the house. And it's even better when you've grown them yourself.
9. And, of course, my husband. He's my rock and my best friend. Our relationship is far from perfect, but there's no one I'd rather navigate through life with.
|Christmas, 2011, two months after our wedding|
Ok, people, I've shared mine, now share your loves with me.